Naegleria Foweleri Causes Mengititus in Twelve Year Old Girl

A young 12 year old girl contracted meningitis when swimming in a lake at Willow Springs Water Park in Little Rock,Arkansas. This parasite lives in warm water, hot springs, lakes, and rivers. It is known as the brain eating amoeba because it often infect the brain. It is a single celled living organism. It often enters through the nose. It is a very rare form of infection.

The mother of Kali Harding said that her daughter developed a high fever and vomiting. She took her to the Children Hospital. They diagnosed her with parasitic meningitis and put her into a medically induced coma to stabilize and treat her condition.

Symptom often develop one to seven days after a child or adult is infected. Symptoms are fever, headache, nausea and vomiting. As symptoms develop often victims become confused, lose balance, and have seizures. The main source of infection is through water with the amoeba and it enters through the nose. It can occur sometimes when someone uses a netti pot to rinse sinuses. Boil all water before using to prevent this from occuring.

Boys are generally more prone to this infection and most occur in southern states. Infections occur most in July, August and September. Kali Harding has a good chance of surviving due to early detection and treatment.

Boy Shoots SWAT Officer at ‘Reading Roundup’ Event

A boy between the ages of 6 and 8 shot a SWAT team officer with the officer’s .40 caliber Glock at a “Little Buckaroos Reading Roundup” in California on August 24th.

The SWAT officers were demonstrating equipment and their van for children attending the event when the boy came up behind Officer Robert Rench and pulled the trigger of the officer’s service weapon. It is believed that the boy had access to the gun via Rench’s thigh holster. Rench was shot in the leg and subsequently treated for a minor injury at a local hospital. He has since been released.

The identity of the young boy is unknown, as he ran from the scene after the shot was fired. An investigation of the event is ongoing with the manufacturer of the holster being called into question for selling a faulty product.

Local Police Chief Mark Helms noted that his officers are working diligently to understand why this happened. He noted that “This should have never happened, especially in an environment where children were present,” ending with a note of relief that the event had not ended in tragedy.

 

Spanish Monster Turns Out To Be Shark or Oarfish

At first it seemed like the Loch Ness Monster might have a cousin in Spain, but it appears now that a ‘horned monster’ discovered washed up on a beach in Spain might just be the decayed remains of a thresher shark or oarfish.

An unlikely tourist in Spain happened upon the decaying carcass of the monster that stretched out 5m in length and had a detached head complete with horns a few feet away from the body. It was found close to Villaricos village in Almeria and had clearly been decaying for quite some time given the smell and look of the beast.

At first authorities said that they had no idea what it could be but remarked on the decomposition and the horrible smell. This led many to start speculating that the marine animal was a monster from out of this world.

However, more grounded individuals called in Promar the marine protection society which is carrying out a set of tests to confirm that the giant monster is an oarfish or shark. It’s too bad really, because what better tourist attraction than waters that attract giant sea monsters! The Loch Ness Monster can rest easy, his legacy remains untouched.

Paraplegic Man Sues Airline Over Humiliation

D. Baraaka Kanaan is a paraplegic, who at age 40, understands quite well what it takes for him to board an airplane flight. Kanaan must call the airline in advance to ensure they have staff on hand to assist him as he boards the flight and moves down the aisle to his seat.

Where possible, Kanaan secures an aisle seat as it is easiest for him to reach his seat.

That makes his experience with Delta Airlines all the more perplexing since he encountered none of the assistance he was expecting on his flight from flight of July 2012 from Maui, Hawaii to Nantucket, Massachusetts. He arrived in time for his flight but no one was available to help him aboard the flight.

Kanaan had to make his way onto the flight and down the aisle to his seat on his hands. Things weren’t any better for him on the return flight two days later unless you believe the cardboard an attendant gave him to keep his clothes clean was an improvement. Delta offered Kanaan a 25,000

Sky Miles and a $100 voucher for travel. He refused their offer and will seek more substantial compensation in court for the ignominious treatment he received from the airline.

2M Dehumidifiers Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

A string of over 40 house fires and an estimated 2 million dollars in property damaged is said to have been caused by faulty dehumidifiers which caught fire after overheating for some time. Although no injuries have been reported, the fires have initiated a response from the Gree Appliance Company, who this week issued an emergency recall of all consumer dehumidifiers sold between 2005 and august of this year.

According to a statement from The Consumer Product Safety Council (CPSC) – a government entity that protects consumers against dangerous and faulty products – when something is recalled consumers should immediately terminate use of that product and return it to the manufacturer at that company’s cost; it is illegal to try to resell a faulty appliance.

The Gree Company has been compliant and, in a statement to the press stated that anyone in possession of a faulty dehumidifier should contact the company through their website or by calling 866-853-2902 to arrange the return and refund of the product.

According to a statement from The Consumer Product Safety Council (CPSC) – a government entity that protects consumers against dangerous and faulty products – when something is recalled consumers should immediately terminate use of that product and return it to the manufacturer at that company’s cost; it is illegal to try to resell a faulty appliance. The Gree Company has been compliant and, in a statement to the press stated that anyone in possession of a faulty dehumidifier should contact the company through their website or by calling 866-853-2902 to arrange the return and refund of the product.